Monday, January 30, 2006

My Portion



“The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup” (Psl.16:5)
“…men of the world, which have their portion in this life…” (Psl.17:14)


It’s easy to think of my portion as being of my own choosing, but Luke 15:18 would lead us to believe it’s something that has already been chosen for me. (“…Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me…”) God, in His mercy and grace, has chosen to portion out a part of Himself to those among His creation who will one day live with Him. To the rest is given whatever can be gained from this life.

That’s why, to the lost man or woman, this life is everything, and why all their decisions are based on making it as comfortable and enjoyable as possible. The Christian is not unmindful of the world, only un-intimidated by it. This may be God’s world, but He is our world. Otherwise, we would worship the creation more than the Creator.

As the songwriter has said, “Thou, my everlasting portion; more than friend or life to me…” The portion that has fallen to me is an everlasting one, because it is God Himself. It encompasses this life, goes through eternity, and ends when God does! This is my portion; it is more than enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment