Friday, March 3, 2006

Not How? or Why? But Who?


“And I gave my heart to seek and search out wisdom concerning all things that are done under heaven: this sore travail hath God given to the sons of man to be exercised therewith.” (Eccl.1:13)

Someone has said, “To the scientist, the great question is “How?” To the philosopher, it is “Why?” But I would submit that to the truly wise, the primary question is “Who?” This is because, until one decides who shall be the final authority, then all questions, whether they concern science, philosophy, or ontology (the study of “being”), have no basis for evaluation. Is my own life experience to be the yardstick? Are man’s philosophical guesses, or his revered (ritualistic) Scientific Method to be the ultimate qualifiers? Or shall I choose to consult the Giver of life for the answers to life?

As I told my highly agitated Biology teacher, who was much “exercised” that I considered a science class to be a proper venue for a discussion of Intelligent Design much less the subject of God, it’s a matter of presupposition. He presupposes a universe devoid of God, so any theory, no matter how unreasonable and perverse, must be right; while, on the other hand, I presuppose “God created the heaven and the earth,” therefore any other argument, no matter how well it seems to fit the Scientific Method (which it doesn’t) cannot possibly be right. We will argue, the two of us, over the next couple of months and trade research material on both sides of the question; but in the end, his presupposition of the superiority of man, and my presupposition of the universal principality of Jesus Christ, will be the deciding factor for both of us. And unless one is willing to acknowledge at least the reality of God, he or she is doomed to say with a frustrated Solomon, “That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered” (Eccl.1:15).

I will continue to study the philosophers, and I will apply myself and try to understand some of the workings and laws of God’s creation, knowing that underneath it all lies the firm foundation of “Thus saith the Lord.” We will never know all the answers to Why? or How? But to the all important question of Who? I have a ready, right, revealed answer: GOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment