Saturday, March 1, 2008

God's "Pets"

"For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ....that as ye are partakers of the sufferings, so shall ye be also of the consolations." (2 Cor. 1:5,7)

We all like to be petted. To be singled out for a little special treatment from time to time. My sisters and brother are all older than I, and they still "baby" me to some extent. I love it. It has been a special comfort to me, since we no longer have our father or mother. The most stoic and self-sufficient among us would be lying if they said they never felt the need for comfort.

These precious verses tell us that God gives special attention to those of us who are going through suffering, in whatever form it may take. He says in verse 5 that when sufferings abound, consolation abounds in direct proportion. Just as you and I console a sick child of ours, so our Heavenly Father, through the Spirit of God and the Scriptures, takes us into His arms (it would seem to me) and reassures us of His abiding Presence and undying love.

If you are one of God’s children languishing in sorrow or pain today, realize it is you that the Father hovers over with jealous care, sensitive to every cry of your heart, audible or inaudible. Bask in that love and know that in a sweet, mystical way, you are His “pet.”

No comments:

Post a Comment