Thursday, February 19, 2009

Willing and Able

“For thou hast delivered my soul from death: wilt not thou deliver my feet from falling, that I may walk before God in the light of the living?” (Psalm 56:13)

       “You delivered my soul,” says David to God; “Now please deliver my feet.” He assumed that if He could do the former, He could surely do the latter. Which do you think would the harder of the two? Actually, from the way many of us tip-toe through life, I would venture to say it would be the second. But God Almighty is well able to accomplish deliverance however and whenever it is called for. As far as He is concerned, they are part and parcel of the same thing, two sides of the same coin, if you please.

        When He delivered my soul from death, that is salvation; and when He delivers me from falling, it is sanctification. The first one is a singular, once-for-all pronouncement; the second is a multiple day-by-day provision for the future. You will remember, I’m sure, in John thirteen, when Jesus was washing the disciples’ feet, it was Peter who requested that He be washed all over. And it was our Lord who patiently explained, “He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit…” (italics added).

        The salvation purchased for us on Calvary and validated at the Tomb, is more than just a promise of eternal life, as glorious as that may be; and if that is all you and I take advantage of, we have only unwrapped half of the gift. The same faith that brought deliverance to our souls, can call upon God for daily deliverance over the power of sin. And let’s be clear about it: if He cannot do the second, we have little reason to count on Him for the first. But rest in this, fellow believer: He is willing…and He is able (Jude 24).

        The same Savior who said, “Thy sins be forgiven thee,” also said, “Rise up and walk.” (Luke 5:23)

No comments:

Post a Comment