Saturday, January 9, 2010

His Banner Over Me

"Thou hast given a banner to them that fear thee, that it may be displayed because of the truth. Selah." (Psalm 60:4)



So then, what is this "banner" that God wishes to display for all the world to see? It's for you and I who fear Him, says David; so why does he not tell us what is written on it? After all, a banner is somewhat like a flag, only larger, that is unfurled high above everyone's head so that all can easily see it. It is often raised for some type of celebration (holiday, birthday, etc.) and usually gives some indication of what is being celebrated or who is being honored. So, since God has seen fit to raise this particular banner on my behalf, I want to know what is written on it. Don't you?

A good place to look first might be the next verse, I think. "That thy beloved may be delivered..." There! There's a clue: the word, "beloved." What book of the Bible comes to mind when you hear that word? Why, Song of Solomon, of course. It was left to David's son to give us the answer to our question, in chapter two and verse four of his Song.

"He brought me to the banqueting house, and his banner over me was love."



One day, when you and I sit at the banquet table with our Lover, Jesus Christ, our enlightened eyes will see what has been waving over our heads from the time He made us His own: a banner proclaiming His great love for us. He wants all of Heaven (and eventually, all of earth) to know that He has chosen us to share in His loving heart, by faith in His death, burial, and resurrection. And the consummation of this great love will come when He says to you and me, His beloved, "Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away" (v. 10).



As we meditate on this precious truth, with the eyes of faith, maybe—just maybe—you and I even now could begin to hear a rustling over our heads. If so, know that it is a banner, waving jubilantly in the sky above us; and on that banner are four bold letters that read: L-O-V-E!

No comments:

Post a Comment