Thursday, March 11, 2010

For His Pleasure

"Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created." (Rev. 4:11)



If you have seen the movie, Chariots of Fire, you know something of the story of Eric Liddell, the Scottish Olympic runner, who won the gold medal for the 400-meter race in 1925. He later served for many years as a missionary in China, and died in a Japanese internment camp in 1945. It is reported that his dying words were, "It's complete surrender." Another man who was a fellow internee wrote a book about his experiences in the camp and said of Liddell, "He was the finest Christian gentleman it has been my pleasure to meet."

When he was asked why he postponed going to China as in order to prepare and run in the Olympics, Liddell's reply was, "I believe God made me for a purpose, but He also made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure."

The verse in Revelation tells us, God created all things for His pleasure; and that includes you and me. We all know faith and obedience please Him; but I ask myself, what trait, talent, ability, or even idiosyncrasy has He given me that I can use to bring pleasure to Him...in my own unique way. Is there something I am able to do that has the potential to elicit the smile of God, so that I, too, may feel His pleasure?

I know He pleases me. It gives me untold pleasure to know that I have eternal life, and the Holy Spirit of God resides within me. It is a pleasure to drink living water every day from the well of His sweet Word. And one day, praise His name, I will see that same Word...in the flesh; and David says, at His right hand are "pleasures forevermore" (Psl.16:11).

When was the last time you felt the pleasure of God?

No comments:

Post a Comment