Friday, April 23, 2010

Watch My Girls

"The Lord watch between me and thee, when we are absent one from another."   (Genesis 31:49)



Nearly ten years ago, when I began writing these little articles, they were only meant to be for my own two girls, Leah Beth and Charity Faith. That's why they're called, "For the Girls." As time went by, other "girls" asked to be included, and the list has grown substantially. In addition, I regularly hear from ladies I have never met, who came in contact with them by word of mouth or my blog. For this, I am truly thankful. I love being a woman, especially a woman of God—not a "super saint," just a saint, as identified by Paul in his Epistles (e.g., Rom.1:7); who happens to be a woman. To quote Elizabeth Elliot, "Being a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian; but being a Christian makes me a different kind of woman."

I found something recently that I wrote to my girls in the early days, and for some reason, I felt constrained to share it today with you. It came from a heart overflowing with love for them; and that same heart beats, even more fervently, if possible.


Watch My Girls


Remember when you children were small, and Dad would say, "If kids are out of your sight, they're out of your control"? He was right, of course, as we learned first hand, on several occasions. Nothing takes the place of on-sight supervision. That's why when we were gone, we made sure someone responsible was watching you. (Remember Mrs. Busbee and Mrs. Courtney?)

This text in Genesis says what I'm trying to say. Although the leave-taking that prompted these words was less than amicable, still there is a sweetness in them that never fails to touch hearts, mine included. They are especially poignant to me, because, for so many years, it was my responsibility (and joy) to watch you. Now, however, you are out of my sight, and out of my control, as it should be. Still, you are my girls, and somehow, I just can't bring myself to leave you "unsupervised." So I have asked Someone truly responsible to watch you for me. I leave you with Him daily, because I have every confidence in Him, and because I love you so much.

Oh, I almost forgot; be sure to mind Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment