Sunday, January 2, 2011

Goal to Go!

“They shall still bring forth fruit in old age…” (Psalm 92:14)

“What are your goals now? Any new projects?” There were four of us sitting at a table in a local restaurant—son Andrew, and his wife, Sharon, along with grandson, Richard, and me. You might assume these words were directed to Richard, who is finishing his Masters degree in Philosophy at Brandeis University, in Boston. But you would be wrong. Actually, it was Richard who proposed the question, and it was me he was addressing. I mentioned wanting to do more reading, writing, and adding to my computer skills, among other things, and Andrew added another project for me, as well. So, as you can see, there shouldn’t be much grass growing under my feet, metaphorically speaking. J

Later, as I thought back on our conversation, I realized what a wonderful compliment my grandson had given to me. He took it for granted I was still looking for a challenge at sixty-seven. And he was right. I realize this doesn’t make me rare, by any means, but it does make me happy and thankful. First, because I understand that I could not look ahead so confidently if I did not have good health and an understanding husband. God has blessed me with both, and I don’t take it lightly. Second, because, as the Psalmist says, age need not bring a halt to my productivity for God. At this very moment, as I sit here before my computer, I am positively giddy with the thought of possibly being able to encourage, enthuse, and empower women to adore Jesus Christ, live in His Word, and cherish their God-given role in life.

Young Richard put this on his Facebook status recently: Goals are dreams with a deadline. And that’s true. There are things we wanted and planned to do when we were younger that may not be beyond our reach now that we are no longer young. They just require shorter deadlines! Maybe they can’t be long-term; but they can still be far-reaching. I’m reminded of David’s prayer in old age: “O God, thou hast taught me from my youth: and hitherto have I declared thy wondrous works. Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation and thy power to every one that is to come” (Psl.71:17-18).

That’s what it’s all about. When I started writing these articles, those many years ago, I called it “For the Girls,” because that’s who they were for: my two girls. And the fact that others, of all ages (and both genders) have joined the ranks of the recipients has not dulled my purpose. It’s about those who are following behind. I was admonished by something Charles Spurgeon said along these lines in one of his sermons:

Call your children and your grandchildren together and tell them what a great God you have served…or write it down that their eyes may read it when yours are glazed in death. Reach out your hand to the ages yet to come and present them with the pearl of great price. Pray God to enable you to set your mark upon the coming generation

Oh, that is my prayer, too. I want to set my mark upon the coming generation. I have a message to share and a commission to fulfill. I may not be important, nor my skill especially unique; but I must not fail. And I can’t quit now. After all, I don’t know how many plays I have left, and the goal posts are in sight.

So, yes, Richard, I have some goals—important ones—and you and all the others are part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment