Thursday, April 21, 2011

He Who Remains

“And Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands: They shall perish; but thou remainest…” (Heb.1:10-11)

Here God reminds us once again that He is the One responsible for the world around us. The heavens, illuminated with the glory of the sun, moon, and stars, and the sturdy, fertile earth that sustains our lives, humanly speaking, are all the creation of His mind and hands. You and I are here only because God thought us into existence and set in motion what would be needed to bring us into being.

Then, in verse eleven, He reveals what science was not convinced of until the late 19th Century: For every action there is a loss of energy, and our universe is running down (2nd Law of Ihermodynamics). It is waxing old, verse eleven goes on to say, “as doth a garment.” It isn’t evolving; it’s devolving.

But against this backdrop of seeming futility, however, the writer of Hebrews shines one great ray of hope: “…but thou remainest…” Everything in this life comes to an end—good or bad, except for Him. He is the only Constant in this universe, and any others there may be. And it is for this reason I have chosen to “gamble” everything on Him. My soul, my life, my future, my eternity.

When my health is gone, He remains;

When I have lost everything, He remains;

When my friends and family are gone, He remains;

When my memory fades, He remains;

And when the last breath of life is squeezed from my lungs, He remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment