Friday, November 9, 2012

Tipping the Scales


“He must increase, but I must decrease.” (John 3:30)

         I had thought recently of writing a little something on the first four words of Romans 3:27, where Paul, after establishing that all men are sinners, asks the question, “Where is boasting then?”  Next to this verse, in my own Bible, I have written, “Everywhere!” The irony is that those who have the least for which to boast are the guiltiest of it. I suppose it’s because if they don’t, no one will. J But even when we cannot be accused of boasting, most of us are not averse to having others do it for us. Let’s face it, the giving and receiving of praise is nurtured from childhood and easily ingrained as a vital part of our adjustment in life. But beware; it comes with an either/or side effect in the Christian life.

         You’re familiar, I’m sure, with the set of scales that utilizes two receptacles side by side, as the one held by the blindfolded woman holding the scales of justice. Well, there’s a Biblical principle that employs this analogy. It’s found in our text.  When my prestige and praise are elevated, Jesus Christ’s are lowered…proportionately. It’s as simple as that. Of course, nothing or no one can lower His standing in the universe and all heaven. What I’m speaking of is the recognition and exhibition of Him in my own life. Here’s the catch: in order for Him to be more preeminent, I must become less significant… proportionately. Just think of the scales, and you’ll know what I’m talking about. This is where the rubber meets the road.

         What I’m talking about here is not a manner but a mindset. It’s not self-deprecation; it’s self-forgetfulness. It’s being so busy making Him look good that there’s precious little time left for self-exaltation. You’ve heard it said that one of the hardest things to master in life is balance. I agree. And, to my way of thinking, as a child of God, the most important place to start is here.

         Who tips the scales in your life…and mine?

No comments:

Post a Comment