Sunday, September 29, 2013

Goin' Places


“And he brought us out…that he might bring us in…” (Deut. 6:23)

Whatever side your spiritual understanding leans to in the age-old argument of free will versus predestination, it would seem to me that the foreknowledge of God cannot be denied (although some do). It’s one of several arguments He offers for His claim to being the one and only true God, in Isaiah forty-six. “…yea, I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it” (v. 11). He is not only purposeful, He is inevitable in His purpose. I pass along this bit of doctrine because what you believe, in many cases, determines how you live. Here’s what it says to me.

If I thought God was going to be as surprised as I am by situations that arise in my life, I’d be tempted to take over the reins. After all, there’s no need in both of us being taken off guard…right? Should I submit to a god as limited as I? I think these are valid questions. However, if, on the other hand, God’s vision extends not only to where I am but also to where I am going, His foresight trumps mine every time, and I’d be a fool to trust my own short-sighted instincts. And, furthermore, if I know He not only sees ahead, but has actually mapped out my journey, with the added benefit of GPS (God’s Personal Supervision), there’s no reason why I shouldn’t be able to maneuver through this life without constant fear or frustration. I am only taken off guard when my plans have superseded His.

We can be sure of this: when God changes our direction, He is simply bringing us “out,” in order to bring us “in.” We’re always “goin’ places” when we follow the Lord, and His plan for us always involves exchanging good for better, no matter how it may look at the time. God says in Jeremiah 29:11, “For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.” When God thinks about you and me, they are all peaceful thoughts, and our future, and indeed our end, will be just as He expects it to be.

If God has peace about our future, shouldn’t we?


No comments:

Post a Comment