Friday, November 22, 2013

Something To Say To You

“And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee…” Luke 7:40

Jesus had been asked to dinner at the home of a Pharisee. During the dinner, a woman known to all as a “sinner,” slipped into their midst and suddenly began washing Jesus’ feet with ointment and drying them with her hair. This caused no small stir among those in the room, but it was the host, a man named Simon, that Jesus turned to address. I’m not so much concerned here about what Jesus said to him; that’s an article or sermon in itself. It’s the manner of Jesus’ words that I want to address and learn from.

First, notice that He spoke to Simon personally. I dare say, Jesus’ words of rebuke couched in a parable could just as rightly have been said to most if not all there. But Jesus chose to single out Simon. We could speculate why, but I think we’ll be better served to simply say that in any group of people, Jesus may choose to speak personally to only one. This is important to remember, in case that one happens to be you or me. Never wait for God to move or speak to the crowd; seek to find out if He’s speaking to you personally.

Next, Jesus spoke perceptively. By this I mean, Jesus didn’t just have insight, He had “inside-sight.” The verse says Jesus “answered” Simon, but we know from the preceding verse that He was answering what Simon had only thought. (Read it.) How unnerving must that have been? The Psalmist says, “…thou understandest my thought afar off” (139:2). Sometimes this is a comfort; at other times, not so much. But either way, it’s a fact that should make us mindful of our thoughts as much or more than our words.

Finally, Jesus spoke pointedly. In this case, Simon’s title — Pharisee — was an adjective as well as a noun. And Jesus addressed his problem directly. He didn’t simply condemn him for his pious thoughts; He explained why they were faulty, as well as pharisaical. After He did, Simon had nothing left to say. He’ll do the same for us, too. When He convicts our hearts about something, He’ll show us in His Word why. He never leaves us to wallow in wretchedness. The way of God and the will of God are Spiritually rational and unequivocally knowable.

Now, let’s finish the verse: “And Jesus answering said unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he said, Master, say on.” Right answer, Simon! We don’t know if he did anything with the words Jesus said to him, but we do know he was smart enough to listen to them. So, how about you and me? Jesus says to me, “Salle, I have something to say to you.” I know it will be personal, perceptive, and most often, pointed. May my answer always be:


“Master, say on!”

No comments:

Post a Comment