Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Father I See

“I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear; but now mine eye seeth thee.” – Job 42:5
         One of the most bewildering characteristics I have observed in grown children is the variation of their perception of a shared parent. To hear one child talk about his or her father or mother, then hear a sibling describe the same parent, one would wonder if they really shared the same parent at all! But even in families where the diversities are only slight, it’s easy to see, each child sees a father or mother in a unique way. It’s safe to say, in most cases, the difference lies not in the parent but the child’s perception of him or her.
You’ve heard the saying, I know, “Perception is reality,” but the only reality is God’s reality as portrayed and personified in His Word. Still, although perception may not be reality, it does create our personal reality. This is why it’s so important to stay focused on God’s Truth.  
My question now is this: How do you see your Father? Not your earthly father; that may affect your life, but it can’t ruin it, unless you allow it to. But how you see your heavenly Father will not only determine how you interact with, and represent, Him, it can truly change the course of your life. Do you consider His commandments and precepts as demands or safeguards? Do you consider His dealings with you to be unfair, or merciful; and His blessings only right, or undeserved? How you answer questions like these paints a picture of your Father. No wonder when we hear some Christians speak of God, compared to how others do, we’re forced to wonder if they both have the same Father.

Jesus said in Matthew 5:8, “Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.” This does not require sinlessness, for in the Bible, you will find the adjective given to things such as gold, silver, “the blood of the grape,” words, thoughts, water, a river, etc. It would seem to mean something stripped down to its intended purpose, with all excess removed. This is how I would describe a pure heart, too. For that reason, that my perception of my Father may be true to reality, I seek a pure heart. My love and affections I gladly share, but my heart belongs to Him. I want it to beat with pure, unadulterated adoration for Him. Like Job, I don’t just want to hear about Him; I want to see Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment