Saturday, January 3, 2015

The God Who Sings


“The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.” Zeph. 3:17

         I find nothing in this amazing verse of the severe, Old Testament God of wrath, so often pictured by secularists and unbelievers. This is not to say our God, as pictured in both the Old and New Testaments is incapable of wrath. He surely is. But we should never make the mistake of seeing Him as one-dimensional. His consuming wrath is divinely balanced by compassionate love, capable of every emotion He has placed within His image-bearing creation. So should we really think singing was reserved for angels and earthlings, while the God who created them can find no reason to break forth into song?

         When it comes to us, our own singing finds its highest expression in praise and adoration; but of course, this would not be His motivation, since He is the ultimate recipient of this praise. What does motivate Him then, I wonder? If I take this verse for what it says (and I do), God is moved to song by one emotion: joy—joy over us.

         What does that majestic Voice sound like? A “rushing, mighty wind,” a “still, small voice,” or the roar of the ocean? Is the voice that brought our world into existence a rich baritone or a thunderous bass? I am speculating, of course, humanly. But one thing I do know. The angels do not join in here. They may sing on other occasions, but not here, not according to this verse. This is a love song, it says. A love song is personal.


         I cannot help but think that when I lift my voice in pure praise to Him, He gives voice to His own feelings, as well. I may not hear it audibly, but if I listen closely, my heart will pick up the strains of a majestic melody, intoned by the Lover of my soul. He sings because He is overwhelmed with joy. I sing because I am overwhelmed with gratitude and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment