Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Who Hears When I Speak?

"They are of the world; therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us..." (1 Jno. 4:4b-5a)

Who speaks my language? And I don't just mean those who may use the same vocabulary; I mean those who use the same dictionary. All of us like to feel we can relate to our peers, but who are our peers? I mean, really? As far as I'm concerned, it has little to do with age, sex, race, intelligence, or natural abilities. Obviously, I am gratified when someone with musical talent compliments my singing (as opposed to, say, someone who is tone-deaf!); but I am even more gratified when I find I have succeeded in touching the heart and soul of a Christian who I know walks with God. When someone who knows God really hears when I speak (or sing), it is a sure sign I, too, am "of God"; and we two are on the same wave-length. This is what the apostle is saying.

I’m not saying that things we say and do should never make an impression on the world around us. On the contrary, our ability to communicate effectively cannot help but impress others, saved or lost. But notice, John says of those who have the ear of the world exclusively that it's because they speak of the world. In other words, their world-view is just that: the world's view. And, as I say, it’s a sure sign they themselves are "of the world."

I want to be so filled with God and His Word that when I speak, it's like flipping the switch that completes the circuit and turns the light on in another believer's heart and mind. And we, quite simply, connect.

Say....who hears when you speak?

No comments:

Post a Comment