Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Everlasting Portion

“The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup.” (Psalm 16:5)  “…men of the world…have their portion in this life…” (Psalm 17:14)



God, in His mercy and grace, has chosen to portion out a part of Himself to those among His creation who will one day live with Him. To the rest, says the Psalmist, is given only whatever can be gained from this life. This is why, to the lost man or woman, this life is everything. Why all their decisions are made from the standpoint of making it as comfortable and enjoyable as possible.

The Christian is not unmindful of the world, nor unappreciative of it; but we are not intimidated by it. This may be God’s world, but He is our world. Otherwise, one would be tempted to worship the Creation more than the Creator.

As the songwriter has so aptly put it, “Thou, my everlasting portion; more than friend or life to me…” The prodigal son asked of his father, “Give me the portion of goods that falleth to me.” And I am able to say that the portion that has fallen to me from my Heavenly Father is an everlasting portion. It encompasses all of this life, reaches through all eternity, and will not end until God does. This is my portion…and my testimony is this: It is more than enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment