Monday, October 15, 2012

Power of Attorney


“The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.” (John 3:35) 

         Several years ago, my husband and I had papers drawn up giving our older son, Andrew, power of attorney in case my husband and I were incapacitated or otherwise unable to attend to our private or legal affairs. This verse in John indicates that God has done the same with His own Son. In His case, however, God will never become incapacitated in any way. On the contrary, He will always be the most powerful and capable Being in all eternity.

         In chapter five and verse twenty-two of the same book, we are told, not only that, the Father has “committed all judgment unto the Son.” When Jesus Christ makes a decision or gives a judgment on someone of something, it stands. You and I have no higher recourse. This is why Jesus says, “No man cometh unto the Father, but by me” (Jno. 14:6). God will not hear any man’s complaint or plea for forgiveness of sin, unless His Son vouches for that individual (1 Tim. 2:5). No wonder the Psalmist says, “Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way…” (Psl. 2:12).

         When my mother-in-law was in her nineties, she would sometimes get a call from someone about some minor bill that nevertheless worried her. When my husband heard it, he said, “Mom, just give them my number and tell them they’ll have to talk to your son about that.” When we come to Him for anything, His answer will be, “You’ll have to talk to my Son about that.” In other words, if Jesus Christ and I are not on speaking terms, I needn’t think the Father will listen to me. That’s why when I pray, I begin by telling God that I come to Him on the basis of my relationship to His Son, Jesus Christ. I wonder if another reason (besides His love) that God has given His Son this authority is because those years He spent in a body like ours makes Him a more understanding and sympathetic advocate (Heb. 4:15).

         Now, here’s the question. If God has turned over everything to His Son, shouldn’t I? There’s no question of capability, or compassion. He knows me and He knows the Father. He has all the power of God, because He is God. And He has all the capacity to know my pain, because He’s experienced it. Who would not want such an Advocate? Oh, I do! And by faith, I say to the Son: “I give all things into Thy hand.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment