Sunday, July 6, 2014

"God Cannot Be Audited"


"So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God.” – Rom. 14:12

Our pastor interjected this brief sentence in his sermon this morning on the Justice of God. He didn’t elaborate on it, but my mind did. And the more I thought about the idea of auditing God, the more it became both audacious, as well as the fallacious, to me.
The definition of “audit” in relation to academia is to “attend (a class) informally, not for academic credit.” You will not receive a credit toward a degree, but on the other hand, and perhaps the greaest enticement, is the assurance you will never be held responsible for anything you hear or learn in that class. No tests, no compulsory participation of any kind. You can do this in a classroom, but according to Paul, it’s not an option when it comes to God or His Word.
When a man or woman is faced with the reality of God, the Creator, in nature or God in His Spoken Word, the Bible, but especially in God, the Incarnate Son, Jesus Christ, that man or woman will “give account of himself [or herself] to God” for that knowledge. When God illuminates, a passive acknowledgement will not do. A choice is always required: accept or reject. It’s true for unbelievers and believers. We cannot say to God, “Thanks for the lesson; it was interesting. But it has nothing to do with me. I’m just “auditing.”
I have always been struck by a verse in Hebrews, that says, “Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do” (Heb. 4:13). It’s those last seven words that get me: “him with whom we have to do.” We may say, “I don’t have anything to do with that person.” But we can never say it about God. To try to ignore Him or His precepts only shows our willful ignorance.
God cannot be audited, nor can He be escaped; but He can be appeased and pleased. His judgment has been appeased by the death of Jesus Christ, and by repenting of our sin and trusting in Him, He becomes a loving Father to us. Then, as believers, we’re able to please Him daily by making Him the Lord of our lives.

The God “with whom [I] have to do” is the One with whom I’m glad to do…everything. He is “…the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever” (Psl. 73:26).

No comments:

Post a Comment