Thursday, July 17, 2014

Still Waters

“…he leadeth me beside the still waters.” – Psl. 23:2b
“Still waters run deep.”
If that old saying is indeed the case, if you or I want to have any depth at all, we’re going to have to perfect the art of being still. This is no small accomplishment. It isn’t about less outward movement, which is probably not a bad idea, but less inner turmoil and frenzy. The Shepherd in the Psalm may lead us in “green pastures” by “still waters,” but He also asks us to eat with our enemies at times, and face the prospect of death at least once, and possibly more times.
I tend to agree with the old saying. I think the Bible bears it out. How important is my ability to “be quiet” to my spiritual growth? Well, for starters, I’m never going to truly know God until I’m willing to “be still” (Psl. 46:10). How’s that for motivation? I can’t concentrate on the greatness of God and the wonders of His Word while I’m stewing inside over everyday worries and cares, rehashing the past, or micro planning the future.  If you’re like me, these inner thoughts scream for your attention, even during what is supposed to be your “quiet time” with the Lord. Oh, my friend, during these times of uncertainty and fear, it’s vital that you and I know the God who is in control; and the only way we can know Him is to be still within. And, by the way, the more we know Him, the easier it will become to be still.
Then, God says in Isaiah 30:15 that if I want strength—strength of character, purpose, and endurance, it’s found in “quietness and confidence.” Not confidence in myself but in Him. Lack of confidence always shows itself in agitation. Scottish pastor, author, and hymnist, George Matheson (1842-190610, wrote, “If you want to measure the strength of a man’s hope, you must measure the quietness of his waiting. Our hope is never so weak as when we are excited.” Be strong in the Lord. Be still
Finally, when my soul is worn out and failing, I can go to the reservoir of “still water” within me, dip in, and be restored. “…he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul…” There’s a direct correlation between the swiftness of spiritual restoration and depth of soul; and it’s the still waters that run deep.
How deep am I?

How still am I?  

No comments:

Post a Comment