Saturday, April 30, 2016

Taking God's Place

"And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb? (Gen.30: 2)

Some women are like Rachel. They seek from husbands or friends what only God can give. It was God who had closed her womb, yet it was Jacob who was the target of her castigation when she pleaded, "Give me children, or else I die." No wonder the man was so angry. There's nothing more infuriating than being vehemently compelled to do something beyond your ability. He showed his frustration by asking, "Do you expect me to take the place of God?"

It's a good question, and a fair one. Do I expect people around me to meet needs in my life that can only be met by God? For instance, who do I trust most with my most intimate secrets? Who sees the bulk of my tears? Who is the primary joy giver in my life? Who is the first to hear about it when I've been offended? Whose love is dearest of all to me; and who is the ultimate source of my guidance and security for the future? If the answer to any of these questions is anyone other than God, I'm asking that individual to take the place of God in my life. Our need to find relief from only someone we can “see” shows our lack of a consciousness of the presence of God in our lives.

Don't allow anyone in your life to take His place...for his or her sake, as well as your own. There is only one Source of ultimate satisfaction for all creation: The Hand of God.

"Thou openest thine hand, and satisfiest the desire of every living thing." (Psl. 145:16)

No comments:

Post a Comment