Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Eye See You


 “I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle…”  (Psl. 32:8-9)

            Here’s the question: Can God lead you and me by simply making eye contact, or does He have to use a “bit and bridle” most of the time? Those of us to whom this may apply are said by the Psalmist to be lacking in understanding and are compared to…well, you know.

            When I read this, I’m reminded of Peter, who, to his credit, was brought to repentance by a mere look from Jesus on the night before His Crucifixion (Luke 22:61-62). Compare this with the means Jesus employed to rebuke the moneychangers in the temple (Mk. 11:15-17). Here, He had to physically turn over their tables to get their attention. And with some of us, I’m afraid He sometimes has to upset our apple carts before we’re willing to face Him and ourselves. And that’s the catch. In order for God to be able to guide us with His eye, we have to being willing to look Him in the eye…in His Word and in prayer.

When our children were young, my husband always had a way of getting their attention by clearing his throat in a certain way. And even in a roomful of people, all four would look around to see if they were being summoned for some reason. Now, of course, when he clears his throat, their first thought is that he might be getting congested. J “Now that they’re adults, they no longer need to look to him for day-to-day permission and guidance. But you and I, as children of God, will always need guidance and permission from our heavenly Father. And when I titled this little devotion, I didn’t mean God is saying, “Eye see you,” (though He does). What I meant was, can we truthfully say to God, “Eye see You”?

                                                                                    EnJOY the Lord today!
                                                                                                Salle (8/16/12)

No comments:

Post a Comment