Friday, August 24, 2012

Hearts on Display


“Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.”  (Psl.62:8)

            James Dobson wrote a book that asks the question, Emotions, Can You Trust Them?” The answer, of course, is no. They’re too unpredictable to be relied upon. So, to me, the obvious next question is, “What can you constructively do with them, then?” This is not unimportant, because we’re talking about the most volatile part of our psyche. To deny them is not only wrong but ludicrous. We all have them. When we say someone is very emotional, what we’re really saying that he or she is more prone to display his or her emotions, not that those who do not, have less.  

            David’s answer to our question of where our emotions are best utilized is in this verse: “…pour out your heart before him…” Does this mean we’re never to share deep feelings with others? I don’t think so, because he also says in Psalm 39:3, “My heart was hot within me…then spake I with my tongue.” There are unexpected times when cups of joy or sorrow can do little else but overflow before others, but this should not be their natural experience. And I’ll admit, I, for one, am far more moved and inspired by preachers and other ministering saints who are better able to show me God’s heart than their own.

            God insists that I love Him with all my heart and soul, and He has brought me to the place after many years where I find it easier to do, as He has grown even lovelier to me. He has first claim on my emotions, and I gladly relinquish it. Beyond that, my husband stands at the front of the line, and everyone else must fall in behind. The rest of my family gets their rightful share; and, no doubt, you who read these written ramblings of mine get a peek into my soul from time to time, as well.

No, emotions cannot be trusted, but they can be offered up to God for His pleasure…and choice of display.

No comments:

Post a Comment